Do you want to earn money from your blog. Just click the icon below.

Searching Box

Google

Tuesday 12 June 2007

Gerrard & Carragher extend deals

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and defender Jamie Carragher have agreed new deals which will run until 2011. Midfielder Gerrard, 27, said: "The negotiations have gone really smoothly. I'm pleased to get it out of the way and we can look forward to next season. "Hopefully over the next four years we can deliver a lot more trophies."

Carragher, 29, added: "I am very pleased. Obviously we are both local lads and I've always said I wanted to stay here for the rest of my career." The pair have spent their entire professional careers at Anfield and as well as manager Rafael Benitez, American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks also stated their desire to tie the homegrown pair to long-term deals.

Gerrard is now hoping the Reds can go on to the next level and transfer their recent excellent record in Europe onto the domestic scene. Having won the Champions League against AC Milan two seasons ago, they lost a re-match in last month's final in Athens. But the Reds have repeatedly failed to mount a serious challenge on the home front.

They finished 21 points adrift of Manchester United in the Premiership last season, and have not claimed the domestic title since 1990. "I think these are exciting times at the football club with the takeover and the new stadium," added Gerrard. "We have both signed for four years and I am sure they are going to be four exciting years.

"I don't see why we can't go from strength to strength and win a load more trophies, not just the Premiership but more cups as well. "Having said that, we can't get away from the fact that the Premiership is the one we want."

Carragher is equally buoyant about the future and hopes to see out his career on Merseyside.
"Hopefully I've got one more (contract) left in me that will take me until the end of my career," he added. "I have signed for four years and hopefully I can still be a regular in the team. That's the aim anyway."

No comments:

Hot Download !!